Now blogging at diego's weblog. See you over there!

myEclipse: slow


And continuing with the "Eclipse" theme this morning... :)

In contrast to PHPEclipse, myEclipse actually has a nice, straightforward installer, and at the beginning everything seems to be fine. But eventually things st-art-to-slow-down. The pages I was editing include JSP tags, that seemed to confuse the JSP editor to no end, and over about two days things started to get slower. The only reason I can think of for why this started happening is that the JSP pages I was editing got progressively bigger, with more tags and commands to verify. Restarting Eclipse didn't help. Changing the memory settings (giving Eclipse 384, 512 megs of RAM) didn't help either.

The "hot deploy" feature of myEclipse is nice: it allows you to specify a variety of app servers and hot deploy to them. But. But. It severly constrains you from actually tailoring what is deployed and how, pretty much forcing you to create a certain structure in your source tree so that the deployment process works well. If you do that, however, you get some pretty good functionality.

Slow though, very slow. At least on my P4 with 1 gig of RAM. It was slo slow in fact, and I was getting so little benefit from it (I couldn't use the hot deploy, etc) that I just had to uninstall it and go back to just Eclipse.

Btw, when I say "go back to Eclipse" I mean that I had to reinstall Eclipse, since myEclipse left trash everywhere in the .metadata and .plugin directories and was making certain things fail (e.g., the Ant build) in Eclipse after the uninstall. In particular, the Ant build problem had to do with invalid settings under the workspace removing the directory workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.debug.core/.launches solved that.

Next up to try: Eclipse Web Tools project. For now, though, back to work.

Bonus: Over at the PHPEclipse site I learned about the "-clean" Eclipse launch option (There's also "-initialize"). Good for when you change install directories, etc., and it is not documented in the page I generally end up at when looking for Eclipse command line options (is is mentioned here though).

Update (a week later): Here's a follow-up to this entry, where I finally got myEclipse to run properly.

Categories: soft.dev
Posted by diego on January 30 2005 at 9:42 AM

Copyright © Diego Doval 2002-2011.
Powered by
Movable Type 4.37