Now blogging at diego's weblog. See you over there!

the day after

Okay, so in retrospect saying that I was going to post screenshots and other things I've been meaning to blog about later yesterday was overly optimistic. At that point I had been awake for 50 hours and it's probably to be expected that I was hallucinating :-).

I haven't yet caught up with all the emails/feedback on the beta, which flooded in yesterday after the release. I'll comment on some of those.

First, I am pleased with how the release went. There had been so many changes that upgrading a user base at this stage was difficult, but it went well. I want to thank those on the spaces-dev list for their feedback.

Curtis, who had tried unsuccessfully to import a large Eudora store into the spaces alpha, reported importing (after some hoops) 69,000 messages (!) into cactus, albeit after several tries (and with the problem that cactus was "splitting" mailing list digests into individual emails. Through some logs he sent, I have determined that the bug is in the parsing of multipart/digest MIME messages--so that will be fixed in the next rev. Memory usage also seems to be jumping over what should be expected, which is strange, since the VM memory settings are the default. Regardless, as I mentioned in a message to the list, the mere fact that we're discussing problems in dealing with 69,000 messages is, to me, a success. A lot of the work I've done over the past few months has been precisely aimed at dealing with large message stores, and it's getting there.

All considered, the migration process worked relatively well. Gerard, who has always given great feedback on spaces, was the only report of problems with the spaces-to-cactus migration (of the database) hopefully I'll get the error logs from him and so will be able to fix it.

There seems to be a problem with reading some messages--James Clarke has just reported something to that effect to the list, and I had seen it myself this morning: the messages appear empty after a point. I am looking at that now.

Another important problem that I'll work on over the next few days, before the public release, is some unexpected issues with IMAP: it seems that some servers are complying with RFC 3348, which specifies extended behavior for the IMAP server, and apparently the LIST commands are failing when looking at the contents of a mailbox. I would have expected that a server implementing extensions would implement standard RFC 2060 IMAP behavior as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case (admittedly, I might be wrong, but that's the best diagnostic of the problem I have at the moment). Both James Murphy, a.k.a. Murph, and Gary Coady have been very helpful with their reports, hopefully in a couple of days I'll fix the problems and they'll be able to use the new version. Murph in particular has been really patient in waiting for better IMAP support, and I don't want to dissapoint him :)

There were some comments on weblogs as well: Russ posted an entry with nice comments, and giving some of "Russ's rules for starting a company". Very cool. nf0 posted a comment and some screenshots of cactus running on OS X. Great! (Once the first glitches of the beta are fixed, better OS X integration will be a more important priority--I noticed that there are some layout problems still, which I've known to exist depending on font size settings--and they will be fixed). Matt also posted some comments, as did Anders. Thanks to everyone!

On the announcement-entry there were some comments from Bruno, Anthony and Russ regarding the name "clevercactus". Bruno noted that there is a product with the name "clever cactus" that is a ... "100% all natural prickly pear cactus perfect for grassland/desert tortoise and iguana species". LOL. This is the first hit for "clevercactus" on google (actually, the only hit for both words together, and the first for the words separated by a space. I had indeed seen it, and I don't think there should be problems with that. Trademarks apply in specific domains, and I think that software is far enough from cactus seeds for iguanas to avoid causing confusion. For example, if you look on google for "apache" you get, of course, the Apache Software Foundation and related links. However, if you look for "apache products" you'll notice that a lot of the links are a) companies that provide services for apache and, more importantly, b) companies called Apache or with products called Apache that sell Apache Indian stuff. That said, the naming of the product is not final at this point.

Anyway, I have some more specific comments on the new UI, but that's for the next post, along with the screenshot.

Categories: clevercactus
Posted by diego on April 26, 2003 at 12:40 PM

Copyright © Diego Doval 2002-2011.